Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Self Portrait

ALBERTINA, VIENNA

Self-Portraits:
Self-Portrait
c. 1593-1594

Hendrick Goltzius 

Self-Portrait in Yellow Vest, 1914

Egon Schiele

Self-Portrait
Undated

Carlo Maratta  

My picture:


My Self-Portrait:  
1. Why did you select the inspiration pieces?
2. Why did you select the media to create your self-portrait?
3. What challenges did you face in creating your self-portrait and how did you overcome them?
4. How does this piece represent you?
5. What elements and principles of art did you apply in this work?
6. Did you enjoy working on this project?
7. What do you think of your final artwork?

1) I selected the inspirational pieces because they were all different versions of self portraits.  The first one looks like he is posing and someone else is drawing him and the second one was more abstract and was the artist in motion.
2) I used pencil because I am not an artist and I knew I would be doing lots of erasing. I didn't want to add color because I didn't want to mess up with paint!
3) The biggest challenge was the eyes! I could not get my left eye (viewed on the right) to look symmetrical or realistic! I just ended up not drawing an eye. Also making the shape of my face and not having it a big blob was difficult but I just kept re-doing my hair and that helped. 
4) This piece represents me because it is realistic and simple. That relates to me and my artistic skills. I was going to make an abstract self-portrait since I at times want to stand out and be unique rather than being plain and like everyone else but my artistic skills was a barrier for making a fun looking portrait!
5) I applied line. Most of my lines are vertical so it gives flow. I also used shape. I tried to break my hair into different shapes. I also used symmetry since my face is asymmetric (I have 1 eye not 2).
6) I did enjoy working on this project! I plan on keeping my self-portrait in my room and maybe one day I will master my eye and complete my face!
7) I am very happy with my final artwork! It is not colorful like I would have wished but I think it resembles my photo quite well! I am surprised at how much it looks like I have talent!

No comments:

Post a Comment