Saturday, February 25, 2012

Art Gallery Visit- Albright Knox

After spending some time at the Gallery, ask yourself these
questions:


A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?

B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?

C.) Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?

You should list at least two different artworks for each question. (Total of 6 artworks)

Step 3:

Make notes in your sketchbook on: Artist, Title, Media, Scale, Year. 

A) The first artwork that made an impact on me was Danseure au cafe by Jean Metzinger (1912 oil on canvas). 
 This made an impact on me because I really had to stop and examine this piece to make out the people. All the different shapes and lines altered the image so it wasn't super clear. I thought it was very creative and the technique definitely caught my attention as I'm sure it caught other people's as well!


Another artwork that caught my attention was Femme et oiseaux dans la nuit by Joan Miro (1945 oil on canvas). This made an impact on me because I literally looked at it and thought to myself "How do people consider this art". It reminded me of something a child in kindergarten can create. I know this can be harsh but I just don't see the "beauty" in this piece and that is why it made an impact on me. 




B) The first artwork I felt a connection with was The Yellow Christ by Paul Gauguin (1889, oil on canvas). I had a connection with this piece because back in my high school French class not only did we study Gauguin, we also took time to analyze this painting. When I was in 11th grade we took a field trip to Albright Knox to look at this painting as well as other French artists. When we analyzed this painting we talked about why the women were sitting there, and why there is a gentleman climbing the fence. Of course I don't exactly remember the detail and story behind this piece it still brought back a memory that made me feel connected to it.










Andy Warhol 100 Cans 1962 oil on canvas. This connection wasn't as deep or elaborate. I feel a connection with Warhol because my cousin got me in to his work. Also I'm a huge fan of soup so who wouldn't like to look at 100 cans! (Kind of makes you hungry!!)






C) There were a few artworks that I would like to know more about. The first is Le Bassin du Jas de Bauffan by Paul Cezanne (1878-79 oil on canvas). It wasn't really the painting itself I want to know more about but the story behind it- "Why did Cezanne paint this". So of course while I was standing there I created a story in my head. I imagined that Cezanne was over at his friend's house on a summer day and his friend was inside making iced tea so Cezanne started to paint. 




A second piece of art I would like to know more about is Chemin de halage a Argenteuil by Claude Monet (1875 oil on canvas). I would like to know more about this because I wanted to know what attracted Monet to this particular spot. Not only was drew Monet there but why he loved it so much to paint it. Was it just because it's nice scenery or does it have meaning to him?

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on some pieces of art looking more like child's play, I myself do not consider that art either. I also like the probable idea you came up with for why Le Bassin du Jas de Bauffan was painted by Paul Cezanne. I enjoyed reading about your visit, I can't wait to see the museum I haven't been yet!

    ReplyDelete