Monday, April 9, 2012

Mask Making

1. Upload the three (3) inspiration images to your Blog (or link to your Photobucket account). Explain why you selected the inspiration pieces.
2. Include the analysis and description (art criticism steps) of the three (3) inspiration pieces.
3. Upload images of your sketchs and finished piece.
4. Explain how you used the Elements and Principles in your finished mask.
5. Share your opinion of your finished mask and what you thought about creating the mask.

The color is very bold in this mask. There are thick sections of color instead of thin lines and designs. The design above the eyes makes it look like eyebrows and the angle they are painted makes the facial expression angry. The color red adds to the angry mood. The black under the nose looks like it is painted to resemble a mustache. There is symmetry on the mask, both vertical sides are the same. The yellow in the middle of the forehead is brighter than the colors used and stands out. This could be an example of emphasis.


 This mask looks like it is made from either a coconut or bark of a tree. The hair looks very realistic. The eyes are slit and looks like the mask's eyes are closed. The red on the side is emphasized with the bright color compared to the dull colored mask. There are lots of designs on the mask with the white polka dots, along with the white stripes. The shape of the mask is very oval compared to round or cut up with shapes and lines.

This mask is not representing a human, but is a dog. The dog is yellow with very pointy ears. The tongue is sticking out and teeth are showing. With the ears, nose, and snout there are a lot of triangle shapes. Instead of having the eyes cut out, the eyes are painted in. There is a glossy finish and doesn't look earthy like the mask above.




I used color in my mask. I used the three primary colors to keep it simple. I also used design and had a nice "V" shape design at the top of the mask. I also used design with the jelly beans. This also acts as my 3-D. There is symmetry and rhythm on my mask as well. Everything flows together and there is not anything that looks like it doesn't belong.
I enjoyed making the mask. I got to paint again which is really fun to just color something. Also since it was just Easter I was resourceful and used jellybeans on my mask. After seeing the masks of animals I wanted to switch mine up and not just do a face. I tried to make my mask look like an owl. I would say with myself not being super artsy and crafty I am not disappointed with my mask!

No comments:

Post a Comment